Strengthening the innovation ecosystem of Cluj IT through smart specialization towards structural transformation and intellectual property based internationalization of the IT sector in Romania
Through this project, Cluj IT aims to strengthen the process of strategic alignment and innovation among cluster members in order to accelerate the development of innovative technologies and products through short-, medium- and long-term cooperation formulas, with international scaling prospects, based on research results stemming from cluster-specific structures and cluster research centers. The project will rely on the activity of cluster workgroups for smart specialization on various verticals of the IT sector (i.e. artificial intelligence, expert systems and blockchain for cyber security), but also horizontal, trans-sectoral (i.e. ITC in precision medicine, smart cities etc.). Through the 12 major industrial research and innovation activities organized in a three-step logical framework, the project will lead to the creation of strategic partnerships between the economic and research environment of the cluster, the identification of new products with high potential for internationalization, testing prototypes, while also creating a RDI strategy and a implementation plan for the cluster and increasing competencies in the field of business internationalization based on innovative products, strengthening cross-sector and inter-cluster cooperation, and developing institutionalized structures through which the cluster’s impact in the digitization of the economy will be enhanced. The aim of the project is to strengthen the process of strategic alignment and innovation among cluster members in order to accelerate the development of innovative technologies and products in the ITC sector with internationally scalable potential with the aid of cooperation on short, medium and long term, based on research results achieved by specific structures of universities and research centers which are members of Cluj IT Cluster.
Stage 1 (2018) of project implementation was mainly focused on developing the RD&I strategic agenda, based on results obtained from the following implemented activities, as follows:
- Multiple actions on technological prospecting and analysis on development potential including:
- Individual meetings with centers for technological transfer from 5 universities, members of Cluj IT
- Meeting dedicated to prospecting the technological and innovation potential with participation of 4 research centers and 4 private companies, members of Cluj IT.
- A seminar on Business Development and Internationalization was organized on the same date.
- A prospecting of the technological base from universities and Cluj IT member companies was implemented. Positive expressions of interest resulted from both private and academic dimensions.
- On June 28-29, 2018, an international brokerage and inter-cluster event was organized in Cluj-Napoca under the 3BS ICT Network Meeting (international network of the ITC industry at Balkan, Black Sea and Baltic regions where Cluj IT Cluster is a founding member).
- The first University to Business (U2B) brokerage event was organized on September 27th
- On November 9, the Digital Talks series of events was initiated with the title: IT & Medicine, as a matchmaking session between IT Cluj companies and research groups from UMF Cluj-Napoca
- On Nov. 14, the second event Digital Talks: IT & Automotive was organized in Sibiu, in partnership with Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu.
Stage 2 (2019)
Project activities were directed towards continuing efforts of aligning the RDI projects and the economic sector within the cluster ecosystem. At the same time, steps have been taken in order to establish international collaborations with organizations and partners active within markets and industries of interest to the cluster members.
- The first international economic mission from Rawabi City delegation was hosted by Cluj IT Cluster in Cluj-Napoca. The meeting between the participating delegates finalized with the signing of Cluj IT – Rawabi Tech Hub partnership.
- May 30th, steps for internationalization continue together with Moldavian Cluster ATIC through the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding
- May 31st, a dedicated matchmaking session called Matching Health was organized with the medical team from the Regional Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepathology “Prof. Dr. Octaian Fodor”.
- June 2019, actions for cross-industry collaboration are initiated with the firs collaboration agreement signed between Cluj IT Cluster and ROHEALTH Cluster.
- June 25th, the Digital Talks series initiated in the last semester of Stage 1 was continued with a matchmaking session between Cluj IT companies and research groups from the Cluj-Napoca Technical University
- July 2109 the “Matching Health” event is followed-up by an institutional collaboration agreement signed between Cluj IT Cluster and the Regional Institute of Gastroenterology and Hepathology “Prof. Dr. Octaian Fodor”
B2U matchmaking: Projects with high potential for technological transfer, September 27th 2018
The first event organized under the CRONOS project was organized on the basis of internal exploration of projects with increased potential for technological transfer and innovation developed by research units active within 5 local Universities, members of Cluj IT Cluster. The B2U matchmaking was an internal session dedicated to exploring the potential collaboration among Cluj IT members based on the list of mapped projects. As a result, members from the private and research sectors of the cluster ecosystem set up bilateral meetings in order to discuss specific requirements of research projects in different stages of development.
Digital Talks: IT & Health, November 9th 2018
The Digital Talks series of events is developed around the facilitation of cross-industry connections and collaborations. A first such event was dedicated to facilitating innovation connections in the research directions of the national health strategy, focusing on collaboration between the IT industry and medicine. Along with the research department of “Iuliu Hatieganu” University of Medicine and Pharmacy from Cluj-Napoca, 18 representatives from the private sector, medical research, student entrepreneurial initiative and medical startups participated in a common meeting dedicated to identifying connection nodes on medical research projects where IT companies can provide technical solutions for further development.
Digital Talks: IT & Automotive, November 14th 2018
The second Digital Talks event was organized in collaboration with Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, having a strong focus on facilitating cross-industrial business connections among representatives of the IT and automotive sectors. The main topics addressed revolved around industry orientation 4.0, supporting digitization in the automotive industry, new business models and developed prototypes.
RAWABI CITY DELEGATION, CLUJ-IT AND RAWABI TECH HUB PARNERSHIP LAUNCH, JANUARY 28th 2019
CLUJ INNOVATION DAYS 2019: Memorandum of Understanding signing, MAY 30th 2019
The Moldovan Association of Information and Communications (ATIC) and Cluj IT Cluster agreed on initiating common actions and signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the aim of building a strategic relationship for the purposes of promoting an international, entrepreneurial and education relationship between the two clusters. At the heart of the initiative lies the necessity to diversify services towards their members, i.e. enable sharing information, resources knowledge and innovation.
CLUJ INNOVATION DAYS 2019: MATCHING HEALTH v1.0, MAY 31st 2019
DIGITAL TALKS: TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER, JUNE 25TH 2019
A new installment of these meetings was hosted on June 25th by the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca where more than 35 participants from the IT industry and experts involved in active projects from research development and innovation groups attended. 15 ongoing projects with high potential for technology transfer were presented in a dedicated session, while delegates had the opportunity to match research initiatives with relevant competencies and technologies available within the industry.
Project financed by UEFISCDI – Program 2 – Competitive growth of Romanian economy through RDI – Subprogram 2.1 – Cluster organization and development – Innovative Cluster
*Finantat de catre UEFISCDI – Program 2 – Creșterea competitivității economiei românești prin CDI – Subprogram 2.1 – Organizare și dezvoltare cluster – Cluster Inovativ
Contract no. 9CLS; 04/06/2018 (PN-III-P2-2.1-CLS-2017-0041)
For more information please send your inquiries to:
Project Director Stelian Brad: stelian.brad [at] clujit.ro
Communications Officer Diana Campian: diana.campian [at] clujit.ro